Tuesday 24 September 2019

Autumn is here!


Autumn has definitely arrived, it is dark when I get to the horses in the morning, although at the moment the sun rises whilst I am there, and the leaves are falling.  I had a lovely week off work last week and some beautiful weather, so I started preparing for the dark days ahead!  Which is lucky because this week it has mostly been raining.


I have so much grass that there is going to be no worry over the winter.  This year has really shown how much grass Chesney ate and I really have too much land for just Basil and Tommy.  Tommy is still on a sparser patch than Basil as I need to ensure Basil is carrying extra weight into the winter. Tommy has no such problems!  

Apparently, it is going to be a bad winter (hopefully not) so I am very glad I have lots of grass!  Both of the boys are still enjoying their Horsehage so I will continue feeding that throughout the winter.  There is definitely less waste and it is much easier to keep tidy than regular hay.  I also have lots of extra space although it is frustrating that I have to go to the shop practically every week to buy it!


I have been gradually increasing Basil's hard food in the last 3/4 weeks as the grass quality is diminishing, to help him with his nutrient intake.  They are both getting extra apples in their food at the moment whilst we have such a huge number falling from the trees.  I have picked a lot and stored them up for use over the next few weeks too.  I think they might last until Christmas I have so many.


I felt like I was a bit behind with my Autumn jobs this year, the swallows have not gone (last year they left in early September) so I have not been able to clear up the mess they leave yet.  This means I still have to wash out the feed room, hay barn and Chesney's old stable.  Once I looked at a few blogs from the last few years I realised that I don't need to worry - I have loads of time!

Other jobs still to do:
·         Vaccinations
·         Teeth checks
·         Tapeworm test
·         Check rugs
·         Keep checking the gutters for leaves
·         Muck heap removal

I still have quite a few jobs to do over the next few weeks but I have done these jobs :
·         Cleaned grooming kits
·         Cobwebs & window cleaning
·         Tackroom tidy

It will be a busy few weeks.

Have you seen my latest vlog  'September ... Autumn has arrived'  on my You Tube channel, Horse Life and Love?  Please check it out and SUBSCRIBE.

You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for updates on Basil, Tommy and Daisy.

Until next time!   
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment