Tuesday 19 December 2017

Taking care of your hands!

I don't know about you but in the winter my hands really take a beating.  In and out of cold water washing buckets, covered in mud from picking feet out and freezing cold from doing both of those things!  

I still have not found a decent pair of gloves to wear whilst doing all these jobs.  I'm not keen on spending a lot of money because they really won't last long with the hard use they will get.  They need to keep my hands warm but I also want to be able to do rug buckles and headcollars with them on.  


I have always just worn the bobbly gloves - I am sure you know the ones - but recently they are so cheap and badly made that they have holes at the end of the fingers in a week (or less) :(
 
Last week with all the snow and very cold weather I was wearing 2 pairs of gloves, my summer riding gloves under the bobbly ones and this is fine until I need to do something with water.  In the last couple of years I have started putting some 'surgical gloves' on over the top of my bobbly gloves to pick out feet and that works pretty well.  I am not very good at doing this for washing buckets though and of course Basil's hay is damp from being steamed.

Sometimes I wear kitchen gloves over my bobbly gloves too but these are a bit too thick for doing some jobs like rug buckles.

I mostly end up just trying to treat my hands afterwards.  I think I am lucky because it is rare for the skin on my fingers to split, although it has happened. 

The best cream I have found is the Body Shop's Hemp hand cream - that is really good and thick and I slather it on at night time.



Yesterday I decided to buy some of these to try  ....


.... which I think will be good for buckets and wet haynets but they are not that warm so I bought a bigger pair so I could fit other gloves underneath if I need them!

Do you have any hints of tips?

Have you seen last week's video 'One Day in December'  on my You Tube channel?   
Horse Life and Love.  Please check it out and SUBSCRIBE.

You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for updates on Chesney, Basil, Tommy and Daisy. 

Until next time!
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment