Sunday 3 March 2019

First Worm Egg Count of the Year


Every year I used to plan my worming programme for the year over the Christmas break.  However, in the last few years everything has changed.  Worms have started to become resistant to the chemicals in the wormers  and so we are being encouraged to worm less and get our horses tested for worms first.  


Luckily there is a really easy process to do this and it is not too expensive either, £16.45  for 2 horses. Now, I don't plan an elaborate programme, changing worming chemicals each year and worming every few weeks.  I just worm egg count a few times a year and worm when necessary.

Up until last year my first Faecal Worm Egg Count (FWC) was in February.  However, they always came back clear.  The next FWC I have always scheduled was in the summer, which, if the worms were still dormant in February and 'woke' up in March meant it was some time before I checked again.  Last year and this year I am carrying out my first FWC of the year in March (so next week).


There are different brands available but I have always used this one.  The picture above shows what the packs contain: a little plastic box, a label to stick on the box, a small plastic bag to put your little box in, a record card, a pink addressed envelope (on the picture's edge), it also contains a slip to fill in with your details  and a glove!

All you need to do is use the glove to put some of your horses faeces into the little plastic box.  Then write your horses name on the label, stick it on the box and put the little box in the small plastic bag.  Complete the slip with your details, you can choose how you get the results - then put the box in the pink envelope with your slip, seal and post.

EASY AS THAT!

A few days later (usually less than a week) I get an email (but you can get a text or post message) to tell me the results.

Here are the test results for your animals:
Test date
Animal Type
Name
Test Type
Result
30 Aug 2018
Equine
Basil
Shop bought pouch
150 e.p.g. Strongyle eggs (Low count for redworm)
30 Aug 2018
Equine
Tommy
Shop bought pouch
<50 e.p.g no eggs seen

You can then go to the website to see what the results mean : 

 0 <50 epg no eggs seen
The sign < means ‘less than’, so a result of <50 epg means that we could find no trace of worm eggs when the sample was tested. (epg means ‘eggs per gram’). If you are following a reduced worming programme you will not need to worm at this level. NB. It is very common for a result to come back as <50 epg no eggs seen.

less than 200 epg (Low count)
If the count is less than 200 epg then it is a LOW count and your worming measures are working. If you are following a reduced worming plan you may still want to delay the next dose at this level.

This test was the first time Basil has had a count other than <50 e.p.g so I decided not to worm him.  In the past Tommy has had 200 e.p.g (medium count) so I have wormed him.

In April and October I will carry out Tapeworm Tests and in June and at the end of September more FWC's.  They are always wormed for encysted small redworm around Christmas time!

How do they test the samples you send ?
A small sample of dung is prepared using a centrifuge and examined under the microscope to find out how many worm eggs are present. You cannot see them with the naked eye.

This post is NOT sponsored and the opinions are my own!

Have you seen my latest vlog 'One Amazing February Day'  on my You Tube channel?   
Horse Life and Love. Please check it out and SUBSCRIBE.

You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for updates on  Basil, Tommy and Daisy.

Until next time!   
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment