Sunday 8 December 2019

Winter Issues



It is only 2 weeks until the shortest day!  The days will start getting longer but the weather really won't be improving for a good while.  So, I have been thinking about the important things I consider for Basil and Tommy at this time of year.


Tommy copes really well with the cold although sometimes feels it when it is really wet.  Basil, as a thoroughbred, needs some help to keep warm so has a rug on inside and outside ... I wrote a blog a while ago about how horses are adapted to cope with different weather conditions.


Mud Fever: can be a big problem at this time of year so I keep a good eye on their legs and heels when I pick out their feet - which I do every evening when I fetch them in. I posted a video for tips on preventing mud fever.

I increase their feed in the winter, although Tommy really only gets a bit of chaff with some apples in to make it more tasty.  Basil gets bigger helpings of the food I feed all year, which is designed for over 16's ... if he needs a bit more help to keep his weight on I will add some sugarbeet.  However, I have plenty of grass so don't think it will be a problem. 

Throughout the year when I ride on the road I wear a Hi-Viz waistcoat and hat cover.  At this time of year I always try to ride out in the middle part of the day when the sun is at its highest so it is also as light as possible.  Depending on the temperature I will also put Basil's bright exercise sheet on and his boots.  




Winter with horses is always a challenge but there are always the weekends!

Have you seen my latest vlog 'November News'  on my You Tube channel, Horse Life and Love? Please check it out and SUBSCRIBE.

You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for updates on Basil, Tommy and Daisy.

Until next time!   
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment