Saturday 27 April 2019

Basil & Tommy



My boys have been fascinating over the last months since we lost Chesney.  I didn't really expect much change, after all Basil has always been the 'top' horse and Tommy the one at the bottom of the hierarchy.  However, there have been changes to their behaviour!

Basil is still 'the boss' and Tommy moves out of his way, however, they are good friends.  Both are independent much of the time, grazing at other ends of the field but they will stand close together for nap time or if they are sheltering from the wind or rain.  They sniff at each other through the bars between their stables and I really like that they can see each other through these whenever they are in.


Basil has taken over some of Chesney's habits.  Chesney was always the first to spot me arrive in my car and come straight over.  Often he would be waiting up by the gate whilst the other 2 just carried on grazing until the last minute.  Now it is Basil who is the first to notice me and come over and he is often up by the gate waiting for me to arrive -how strange is that? 

When Tommy used to have his 'bombing' about the field sessions Basil usually joined in and Chesney mostly stood and watched them - I always imagined him thinking 'what are they doing - what a waste of energy'.  Now, when Tommy has his 'bombing' about the field sessions Basil usually stands and watches with the same expression on his face that says ' what are you doing - what a waste of energy' !!!!  He does sometimes still join in though.


Luckily Tommy is perfectly fine on his own and happily carries on grazing when I get Basil in for a ride.  Although, he sometimes comes up for a polo when I put Basil back out afterwards.  Basil now sometimes comes up to the gate when I go to catch him for our rides, I don't always have to go down the field to catch him - I hope it is because he looks forward to it. 

Basil will happily stay on the yard for a while in the morning finishing his breakfast when I have already put Tommy out and he is happy to stand and be brushed on his own while Tommy is off at the other end of the field.


Tommy has always been quite an independent pony but it is great that they get on well.  They have their play sessions sometimes but are not too silly but Tommy is still daft.

They make me laugh.

Have you seen my April vlog  'Hello April' on my You Tube channel?  
Horse Life and Love.  Please check it out and SUBSCRIBE.

You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for updates on Basil, Tommy and Daisy.

Until next time!   
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment