Saturday 6 April 2019

What happened in March?


Basil had his shoes back on 7th March but the weather did not decide to cooperate as I had hoped.  I had a week off when I had planned to get some good riding in but the road was still closed and it was really windy and wet.  Improvements towards the end of the month and I think we are ready for a great year :)



This is how March looked:

1st - good lunging session today

2nd - lunged, good again :)

5th - lunged, Basil had a couple of silly moments but on the whole was good today

7th - shoes back on

Really wet & windy for 2 weeks so not much happened.... this was during my week off work too :(

17th March - lunged and total idiot, Basil galloped about as I expected after 2 weeks off.  He did settle for 5 minutes of sense on each rein eventually though.

19th - lunged and PERFECT today

20th - arena, I decided it was safe to get on again today.   Stayed in walk and trot as I am still having a bit of trouble with my back.  We did lots of walk circles and serpentines and leg yield and a couple of trot circles.  Good, although Basil fancied a canter really!

22nd - another lunging session, very good.

23rd- hack out, we went down the road to where it is closed to see how they were getting on.  Bit of practise with scary road works signs too .... walked with one short trot but Basil jogged all the way back.

24th - arena with walk and trot circles, walk serpentines and leg yield again.

26th - lunged and very silly today.

27th - hacked to road works again today, very keen and a bit jumpy. Short trot, jogged part of the way home today.

29th - lunged and he was mostly good, a whizz around half way through but he stayed on the circle

30th - hack again, just as far as the road works.  Beautiful day and a lovely ride, stopped for some grass.  Mostly walk with a short trot again.

31st - arena for a good session today.  Nice trot serpentine at first but once changed rein to do the same Basil decided it was time to canter so the trot was too fast and unbalanced.  Decided to risk a canter today, good left canter, correct lead.  Still a bit fast but not bad, right canter was a bit more wayward but still so much better since I changed his bit.  Lovely walk leg yield today.


Basil has been losing lots of hair throughout March, but Tommy has really only started seriously more recently - he has a lot to lose.  I think he is going to be on a diet soon too.



Have a look at my latest vlog 'One March Day' on my You Tube channel, Horse Life and Love.  Please check it out and SUBSCRIBE.


You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for updates on Basil, Tommy and Daisy.

Until next time!   
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment