Tuesday 2 June 2015

Feeding Nettles to horses!




Fairly widespread in the UK these grow in gardens, hedgerows and in fields.  Nettles are growing quickly at this time of year, and actually can be beneficial to your horse!  



I have plenty of nettles in the field and although I do use weed killer I try to leave some for the butterflies and the horses.   They spread fast and so I find it is important to keep on top of them or they take over and the grass suffers. 


Nettles are the richest source of chlorohyll in the vegetable kingdom.  They provide Lime, Potassium, Sodium and Sulphur.   They are rich in Iron and Vitamin C which help strengthen the circulatory system.  They can also help eliminate waste products through the liver and kidneys. They could help Floss with her stiffness (due to old age) and Chesney with his reduced appetite.  So if I can avoid being stung they may be worth a try!

They can be cut and wilted or boiled using the juice and the nettles added to feeds.



To be honest though I am not sure that the horses eat many, I certainly have never seen them help themselves to them out in the field. 

Actions:
See my
herb blog for the meanings of these.
Alterative, Antiseptic, Astringent, Diuretic, Expectorant, Galactagogue, Haemostatic, Rubefacient, Stimulant, Tonic.


Part Used:
Aerial parts!


Usage:
Haemorrhaging (bleeding), anaemia, rheumatism, arthritis, laminitis, sweet itch, as a spring tonic, allergies, milk production, appetite, coat and skin.


Dosage:
40 - 50gms added to feed daily.






Look out for tomorrow's video on my You Tube channel.   Horse Life and Love
Please check it out and SUBSCRIBE.

You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram for updates on Chesney, Basil, Floss and Daisy.

Until next time!
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment