Thursday 18 June 2015

Mid- June Update




I don't usually write an update until the end of the month but as a few things have been going on I thought I would pop a little one in this month!  If you follow my You Tube channel you will already know that unfortunately we had to take Floss back to her old home.  She had settled in fairly well but as soon as she came into season the other week everything became very difficult.  


Some mares are really easy, just like my old mare it was difficult to tell if she was in season or not.  Chesney grew up with her with no problems.  Basil too,  I recently remembered, was stabled next to a mare before I bought him.  However, Floss is not one of those mares.  It is very obvious that she is in season and she enjoyed teasing Chesney and Basil.  Chesney became almost impossible to handle and both of my boys had kicks and bites.  Chesney had lots of small injuries and then Basil developed a haemotoma. 


I thought long and hard about it but really decided that it was not fair on any of the horses or me to have this happen every 3 weeks.  As Floss was able to return to her old home with no problems I decided that this was the best solution. 

It was very stressful when she first left as Chesney spent over 2 hours trotting up and down the fence looking for her.  Basil settled relatively well but within a day or so they both had accepted the situation and were back to normal.


So, I am now on the look out for a new companion and have contacted a couple of rescue centres to see if I can give a home to one of their horses or ponies.  I will keep you up to date on this!

Have you seen this week's vlog 'One day in June'
Horse Life and Love.  Please check it out and SUBSCRIBE.

You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram for updates on Chesney, Basil and Daisy.

Until next time!
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment