Monday 2 January 2017

Hello 2017!



HAPPY NEW YEAR

I hope that like me you have had a break and taken some time to relax, recharge your batteries and think about the year ahead.  The horses mean that I have not really had a chance to stay in bed late .... they just make a bigger mess in their stables if I'm not there at the same time as usual.  However, I have enjoyed a less hectic few days and had the time to think about the year ahead. 

I like the opportunity to turn a new page and start afresh, things may not have gone quite to plan last year but this is a new year and a new chance to look forward!  


The few days over Christmas were busy and we have had a few icy days too which means I have not been able to ride as much as I would have liked.  Last year we had wind and rain, this year the cold has meant the arena has been frozen all day and the roads too icy :(  


When I looked back at last year's aims I realised I have not done well :(  Then I read over my monthly reviews and I realised we have not had an easy year, as Chesney and Basil have both had a few problems.

So, my 2016 Aims were:

  • More jumping with Basil 
  • Continue to improve our flatwork 
  • Introduce Shoulder In 
  • Improve Turn on the Forehand

These Basil aims are where I have failed, we have really struggled this year.  We have had a few lameness problems and Basil's pollen allergy has flared up.  The biggest problem has been our canter transitions and Basil being really strong again and not listening to me.

  • Teach Tommy to be tied up 
  • Be able to catch Tommy in the field when he is not wearing a headcollar 
  • Introduce some ground schooling with Tommy

Tommy has come on in leaps in some ways.  His trust in me and confidence has grown so much He now comes up to me in the field so if he is wearing a headcollar I can catch him BUT I can only get a headcollar on in the field if he is near the gate!  He can be tied up if I stand close but I haven't left him at all yet.  We haven't done any ground schooling - the year has gone by so fast.

  • Improve grass in another section of field 
  • Blog 3 times a week 
  • Vlog or post a video each Wednesday

Yes!!!!


2017 Aims:

  • Find a new bit for Basil 
  •  Achieve more rhythm and calmness in canter (and trot after we have cantered) 
  • Use the 'loop exercise' to work on our changes of bend 
  • More lateral work and turn on the forehand 
  • Start jumping with Basil again 
  • Tie Tommy up more 
  • Be able to catch Tommy in the field when he is not wearing a headcollar 
  • Introduce some ground schooling with Tommy 
  • Continue to Blog 3 times a week 
  • Vlog or post a video each Wednesday 
  • Start a training the young horse series on my blog

I would love it if you would visit my You Tube channel too and SUBSCRIBE. 
 Horse Life and Love

You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for updates on Chesney, Basil, Tommy and Daisy.

Until next time!
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment