Saturday 27 July 2019

Horses Feet - why you should pick them out EVERY DAY


Whenever I see my farrier now he comments on how he can tell that I pick the horses feet out every day.  This amazes me be because this is one of the first things I learnt ... you check on your horse at least once a day and pick out their feet EVERY DAY.


However, my farrier tells me that horse owners don't do this anymore.  Which I don't understand because it's not a difficult job once a horse is taught and horses and ponies should learn this when they are as young as possible.  Tommy was still getting used to it when I got him, probably re-learning after years of abuse, but it is the same principle.

If you do this every day and pick out the feet in the same order every time then horses get used to it and will often lift their feet up - as both Basil and Tommy do.

So, why is it important:


  • Clear mud or bedding out of their feet to prevent thrush 
  • Clear any stones out which could cause damage to the frog or sole 
  • Allows you to check for any injuries or bruising 
  • Allows you to check shoes, clenches and toe clips 
  • Ensures your horse is used to having his feet picked up for the farrier




 Bruised sole
 
I always pick out into a skip so that I don't have to then sweep up if I am on the yard and if I am in the stable I don't drop mud or stones into the bedding.  Even Tommy has got used to the skip and I can push it with my foot across the yard!

Have a look at my Grooming video to see how to pick out feet.


Have you seen July's video 'Summer has arrived'  on my  You Tube channel, Horse Life and Love?

Please check it out and SUBSCRIBE.

You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for updates on  Basil, Tommy and Daisy.

Until next time!
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment