Tuesday 21 April 2015

Feeding Garlic to Horses.



Last week I posted a blog about herbs and their uses for horses.  With the idea that I would try some of the easier to get hold of ones on mine.



I have decided to try Garlic first as it could help Fidget with his ROA and perhaps his Sweet Itch but also could help with repelling flies for Basil and Chesney too.  There are other uses ...

  • It may help Chesney's body restore itself to good health and stimulate his digestive system. 
  • May help destroy and expulse worms from the digestive system. 
  • May help calm Chesney's nerves??




I grew some garlic last year and have some left so I thought I would give raw garlic a go.  Out of interest the first thing I tried was to see if they would eat a bulb out of my hand!  Chesney put it in his mouth but quickly rejected it, Fidget rolled it around in his mouth and I think ate it in the end.  Basil put it all in his mouth and then bit a section off, which he ate, the rest he spat out.


Next day I chopped a bulb up each and put it in their feed, which they ate with no problem.  You have to cut a little bit from the top and bottom of the bulb and then peel the skin off.  So the plan is to gradually increase the amount in their feeds.  1 bulb is about 1 gram but I think that garlic granules will be more concentrated.  This means they will need more than the 40 - 50 gms recommended below.  I am not sure then that I could grow that much!  However, as this is just to try I will see what happens.

Actions:
See last week's blog for the meanings of these. 
Alterative, Anthelmintic, Antibiotic, Anticatarrhal, Antihistamine, Antimicrobal, Antiseptic, Antispasmodic, Antiviral, Aromatic, Carminative, Cholagogue, Diaphoretic, Diuretic, Expectorant, Febrifuge, Mucilage, Pectoral, Rubefacient, Stimulant, Tonic, Vermifuge, Vulnerary


Part Used:
You use the bulb of the plant.


Usage:
Internally ie: eaten - will repel flies and insects.  Helps with coughs and respiratory disorders, rheumatism, aids digestion and intestinal infections.
Externally - can be applied for bites, ringworm or boils.


Doseage: 40 - 50gms added to feed daily.


Did you see last weeks vlog?  Horse Life and Love
Please check it out and SUBSCRIBE.

You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram for updates on Chesney, Basil, Fidget and Daisy.

Until next time!
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment