Tuesday 5 May 2015

Feeding Dandelions to Horses



To be honest I never thought of Dandelions as herbs, they have always been weeds in the garden or in the hedgerows! 


However, Basil seems to really like them.  He will always head for the yellow flowers when they are out - I am not sure if it is the colour.  It is the roots or leaves that are most useful though and at this time of year they are easy to spot because of the flowers.  


These also grow in the field and although Basil eats the flowers I have not noticed that either he or Chesney eat the leaves.  This suggests to me that they don't need the properties this 'herb' contains.  As I said in my first herb blog wild horses would select plants they needed based on their properties.


However, it could stimulate Chesney's appetite and aid his digestion.  As you know,  I am trying to get more weight on him, so this could be a good thing!  It could also help as he can be a bit stiff somedays.


Actions:
See my
herb blog for the meanings of these. 
Alterative, Antirheumatic, Aperient, Bitter, Cholagogue, Diuretic, Hepatic, Laxative, Stimulant, Stomachic, Tonic.


Part Used:
Leaves and root.


Usage:
Internally - used for water retention, inflammation, kidney and liver complaints.  Stimulates appetite and aids digestion.  Also used for rheumatism, arthritis and laminitis.


Doseage:
40 - 50gms daily.


See my You Tube channel tomorrow for my latest video. 
Horse Life and Love.  Please check it out and SUBSCRIBE.

You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram for updates on Chesney, Basil and Daisy.

Until next time!
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment