Tuesday 19 May 2015

Feeding Horses - Lemon Balm




This is something I grow in the garden and there is often quite a lot of it. It appears fairly early too (April/May) and grows through until it gets really cold.  


 This does not grow in the field so I have no idea what the horses will think of it at all.  However it can help with digestion and nervous problems so I thought I would give it a go, especially as I have plenty of it available!
 

I cut some of the leaves at the weekend and added them to the horses' tea.  They all ate them as part of their feed but Basil particularly enjoyed his and ate some more leaves out of my hand!  I think I may try to grow some in the field as he enjoyed it so much.

Actions:
See my
herb blog for the meanings of these.
Antispasmodic, Aromatic, Bitter, Calmative, Carminative, Diaphoretic, Emmenagogue, Febrifuge, Nervine, Sedative, Stomachic, Tonic.


Part Used:
Leaves


Usage:
Useful for female disorders; cramps and regulating the oestrus cycle. 
When combined with Hops, Chamomile and Meadowsweet it can help with digestive problems.


Dosage:
40 - 50gms added to feed daily.



Look out for my latest vlog tomorrow on my You Tube channel.   Horse Life and Love
Please check it out and SUBSCRIBE.

You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram for updates on Chesney, Basil, Floss and Daisy.

Until next time!
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment