Tuesday 25 August 2015

Feeding Herbs - Basil



This is a herb native to southern Asia and the Middle East but I find it no problem to grow in the greenhouse during the summer.  I always think it smells good. 




This might be good for my horse Basil too as it is useful for respiratory disorders and digestive disorders - both of which we have had problems with this year!  


I cut some Basil (the herb) to see if the horses would eat it.  It is really funny that Chesney and Tommy wouldn't eat it but Basil (the horse) loved it.  He ate it straight out of my hand just like he does with carrots and Polos!  

Actions:
See my
herb blog for the meanings of these.
 Antibacterial, Antifungal, Antispasmodic, Aromatic, Carminative, Expectorant, Galactogogue, Mild Sedative, Stomachic.




Part Used:
Leaves.


Usage:
Internally it can be used for respiratory disorders like coughs and for digestive disorders or constipation.

Externally Basil can be used in a poultice or applied to itching skin and ringworm.

Dosage:
40 - 50gms added to feed daily.


Look out tomorrow for 'My Stable Tour'  on my You Tube channel.   Horse Life and Love
Please check it out and SUBSCRIBE.

You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram for updates on Chesney, Basil, Tommy and Daisy.

Until next time!
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment