Tuesday 11 August 2015

Feeding Herbs - Thyme

Wild and garden thyme comes in different varieties now.  It is a fragrant herb and is usually harvested between June and August. 



I think that I might start feeding this to Basil on a regular basis if I can grow enough.  I have decided I will have to start giving him some sort of supplement to help with his respiratory problem so may try this first.  


Actions:
See my
herb blog for the meanings of these.
Anthelmintic, Anticatarrhal, Antifungal, Antimicrobial, Antiseptic, Antispasmodic, Aromatic, Astringent, Carminative, Diaphoretic, Emmangogue, Expectorant, Febrifuge, Nervine, Rubefacient, Sedative, Stimulant, Tonic, Vulnerary.



NB: Thyme should not be fed in large amounts to pregnant mares!

Part Used:
Leaves and flowering tops.


Usage:
Internally used for respiratory problems, coughs and sore throats.  Also good for digestive problems, indigestion or wind colic. 
Externally it can be used as an ointment for swellings and warts. 


Dosage:
30 - 40gms added to feed daily.


  
Look out tomorrow for this week's vlog - and a little something extra!  Horse Life and Love
Please check it out and SUBSCRIBE.

You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram for updates on Chesney, Basil, Tommy and Daisy.

Until next time!
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment