Tuesday 13 January 2015

Product Review - Farrier's Formula





 I have used Farrier's Formula for Basil for quite a few years now.  I also used it for a previous horse I had who's feet were even worse.  Thoroughbred's do tend to have poor feet so I guess it is no surprise!  The problems I had with Josephine (my previous horse) were soft, crumbly feet which meant that she often lost shoes.  She also had really, really slow growing hoof walls and quite flat feet,  this with her soft soles meant she bruised easily.  Basil's hoof walls were quite a mess when I had him, I think probably due to irregular shoeing and trimming.  Obviously, this improved over time with 6 weekly farrier visits.  However, he also had really slow growing hoof walls and a tendency for them to split from the nail holes.  
 
I really can't remember who first recommended this to me for Josephine but I thought it was worth a try.  I never looked back.  It really did make a huge difference to the quality of her hoof walls which became much less crumbly and she definitely lost less shoes.  So when I got Basil and thought his feet could do with a bit of help this was the product I headed straight for!

According to the website:
'Farrier's Formula is a hoof supplement that provides nutrients such as phospholipids, omega fatty acids, vitamins, minerals and important amino acid 'protein building blocks'.  These nutrients enable horses to build strong connective tissue proteins important for healthy hoof structure and growth.' 

In addition to the hoof problems I have used it for it is also good for horses recovering from Laminitis where the bond is damaged between the outer hoof wall and the coffin bone (according to the website).

It is not the cheapest supplement but I have found that if you feed according to the guidelines until you notice a difference in your horse's hooves you can then reduce it to a small amount daily for maintenance.

You can purchase a tub ...


                                                                  ............... and then refill's which are a bit cheaper.




Basil's hoof walls are definitely stronger and more shiny.  I would recommend this product to anyone who needs to improve their horse's feet.

This post is NOT sponsored and the opinions are my own!


Have you seen last Wednesday's vlog 'What I got for Christmas'
Look out for 'My Winter Essentials' tomorrow! 

Please check it out and SUBSCRIBE.

You can also follow me on Facebook for updates on Chesney, Basil, Fidget and Daisy.

Until next time!
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment