Monday 29 December 2014

Basil's Genealogy

Basil is an ex-racehorse and I bought him when he was 6 years old and had already been re-schooled to some extent.  Not long after I had him I began to wonder about his racing career.  To be honest I can't remember how I found his race record and now it doesn't seem to be available on line through Weatherby's. However, I did manage to find it here http://www.attheraces.info/form.aspx?id=2119275&ref=formcardmain&dte=2014-08-12&refsite=atr&npl=yes



In 2003 he won a race at Catterick. I am not sure that I agree with racing horses young as I don't believe that they have grown and matured enough, Basil was only 2 years old when he won this race.  He was born in 2001 and ran a total of 16 races between April 2003 and July 2004.  He did only win one and I am not sure why he stopped racing - perhaps he just wasn't good enough, or perhaps he injured himself. 
Luckily for him he found a new owner prepared to have him re-school and although he proved a little too much for her he is now settled with me in his 'Forever' home.  I wish all ex-racehorses were so lucky!  

After I found his race record I thought it would be interesting to find out about his ancestors and see how far back I could go! His official name is Barras, he is Irish and his passport lists his Sire and Dam so he was easy to find on the All Breed Database http://www.allbreedpedigree.com


                                                                                Raphy (1985)     
                                 Raphane (1994)
                                                                                Fast Nellie (1987)
Barras (2001)
                                                                                Double Scwartz (1981)
                                  Lady Fleetsin (1989)
                                                                                Fleetsin (1976)


By following this back on the Thoroughbred Database I found ancestors of Basil's born in:-
1944 Tudor Minstrel


1940  Nasrullah



1893 Bay Ronald


1881 St Simon 


1880 The Sailor Prince
1822 Camel
1811 Dr Syntax
1773 Woodpecker
1675  Spanker Mare
1612 Family Number 6  (obviously they didn't have proper names then!)

Once you get back a few decades you find that the same names tend to come up in different lines!

The internet has made this great fun and I am going to see what I can find out about Chesney too as he has his Sire and Dam on his passport!

Have you seen my my vlog channel?   Horse Life and Love
Please check it out and SUBSCRIBE.

You can also follow me on Facebook for updates on Chesney, Basil, Fidget and Daisy.

Until next time!
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment